How to Dispose of a Fire Extinguisher
Because fire extinguishers are classed as hazardous waste, you cannot simply throw them in the household waste for recycling. To help you safely and legally dispose of your fire extinguisher, we’ve drawn up the steps you need to take.
Steps for disposing of a fire extinguisher
- Step 1 – Determine the fire extinguisher type by the rating on the body
- Step 2 – Has it been used? Some fire extinguishers won’t last when partially used, while for others you might be able to recharge them
- Step 3 – If you extinguisher is damaged, or you’re unsure of the chemicals involved, have it collected by a licensed disposal company
- Step 4 – Release any remaining pressure in undamaged units into a sealed drain
- Step 5 – Leave the extinguisher to stand for a few days, ensuring it has lost all of its pressure
- Step 6 – Take the fire extinguisher to your local recycling centre or have it collected
Halon Extinguisher Disposal
Halon fire extinguishers have been banned since 2003. If you have one of these, you must take it to a recycling facility immediately.
Professional fire extinguisher disposal
To discuss the disposal or recharging of your fire extinguishers – whether they’re damaged or intact – simply contact Elite Fire today. Our specialists can come directly to your premises to remove your old extinguishers and dispose of them legally.
Request a Callback
Just fill in your details below and we'll get back to you as soon as we can!